VirtualBox can import virtual machines appliance that has been exported to the Open Virtualization Format both from a folder (ovf) or an archive file (ova). Open Virtualization Format is a standard format used by other virtualization platforms such as VMware and QEMU.
Settings for the virtual machine can be re-configured during the import process, based on the previous settings from which the virtual machine was exported.
Steps to import VM appliance to VirtualBox:
- Launch VirtualBox.
- Click on Tools.
- Click on the Import button.
- Click on the folder icon to open a file select dialog.
- Select VM appliance with ova or ovf extension and click on Open.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Double click on the VM settings that you want to change.
- Set a new value to change.
- Change the location to import the VM to if required.
- Change change MAC address policy if required.
- Uncheck if you don't want to force the VM's disk to be converted to VirtualBox's VDI format.
- Click on Import to start importing the VM appliance to VirtualBox.
Comment anonymously. Login not required.