VirtualBox stores all the virtual machine files in a folder named VirtualBox VMs. The folder, by default, is within the user's home directory. It contains all the virtual machine's configuration files and the associated virtual disks.
You can change the default virtual machine directory location to unclutter your home directory or have a bigger and faster disk drive to store the virtual disks.
Steps to change default Virtual Machine directory for Virtualbox:
- Create a new folder if you dont already have one.
$ mkdir -p ~/Workspace/VMs/VirtualBox
- Launch VirtualBox.
- Click on Tools.
- Click on Preferences.
- Click on dropdown list of Default Machine Folder option.
- Click Other to chose another folder from the list.
- Select the default folder for virtual machines.
- Click Open to confirm selected folder.
- Click OK to save and apply configuration changes.
- Move VirtualBox virtual machines to new folder if required.
Comment anonymously. Login not required.