Some websites would pop up a request to send you notifications whereby you'll have the option to Block or Allow the request. The web push notification, if allowed, will be able to send you messages which will push the notifications to your desktop.
Web push notifications could provide additional value to website visitors, but it could just be an annoyance if not done right. You can disable web push notifications for Google Chrome or Chromium from the browsers' Setting's page.
Steps to block notification for Google Chrome and Chromium:
- Open Chrome's Setting page by going to chrome://settings from the URL bar.
- Scroll down and click on Privacy and security section or click from the sidebar menu.
- Click on Site settings.
- Scroll down and click on Notifications.
- Switch off the toggle switch for Sites can ask to send notifications.
- Explicitly set sites to be blocked or allowed to send notification by adding the URLs manually.
Comment anonymously. Login not required.